Friday 4 July 2008

The South Downs - or should that be the North ... Oh which way has Albert gone now???

Albert reports on his experiences at this years South Downs Relay.

"I had an enjoyable South Down’s Relay running with five Crowborough Vet lads – Kevin,John, Peter, James and Roger.. The race started at 7am so it meant a 4am rise to look after my animals before departing at 5.15.

I ran leg 2 from Jevington Church to Bo-Peep car park, which is 6 miles in a time of 55:06. This meant a climb up to the top of the South Downs to the ridge of the Long Man of Wilmington, a drop to Alfriston and a further climb to the top before a swift downhill section to the finish. I was 50 seconds faster than 2004.

My next stage was leg 8 from the north of Shoreham on Sea to Washington. This is another 6 mile leg in a time of 57:25. This is another very hilly section with the pretty but hard climb up to the top of the Downs overlooking Steyning Bowl and continues past Chantenbury Ring. A lovely but tiring run. I was 13 seconds slower than 2004, so at this stage I was 40 seconds better off.

The wheels fell off on the 3rd and last leg, no. 14, which is Harting Down NT Park to the Queen Elizabeth 2nd Country Park. This is by far the easiest leg of just 4 miles but took all of 59:25. It was not wheels that fell off really just tiredness and very painful hamstrings. Due to stupidity brought on by tiredness and pain I took a wrong turn just before the finish and ended up in the valley to the South of the finish which meant a 2.8 mile climb up the steep trails and road. I was 26 minutes slower than 2004.

Still the team did not come last and we were within the cut off time and the team finished before 8pm. After a drink or two and a BBQ we wearily returned and fell into bed at 1am. A thoroughly enjoyable day which I would like to repeat without getting lost!

The Waddies should put their names down for a team for 2009, although as this is a very popular relay, they have a waiting list."

Thanks for the report Albert.

I notice that the race finished at 8 00 pm and you got home at 1.00 am. Did you get lost going home too?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me? Getting lost? Well I never

Albert