Friday 15 June 2007

News from out west

As the club has grown over the last couple of years, we've begun to attract new members from outside the Wadhurst area. No doubt they'll tell you that the reason they joined is because we're such nice people - and one new member who certainly would testify to that is Barry Gilbert.

Barry lives in Reading and first came across the Waddies whilst running in Belgium on one of the Nice Work running trips. Subsequently Barry and his wife Carole have raced with us in Holland and France and there's always been a Waddie or two on the trip - and Barry then began to pop over to Sussex to meet up with the friends he'd made. So, it was a logical step for him to join the club - and he now proudly runs in the Wadhurst vest all over the country. He continues to make frequent visits to Sussex and he is hoping to make a number of the Grand Prix races.

In the space of one crazy week Barry managed to leave his kit and trainers in a B & B in Eastbourne - and then left two suitcases and his hand luggage in France on another Nice Work trip. That necessitated a long trip from Reading to travel to France by train to recover his bag - arriving back in Dover he then had to drive to Eastbourne before driving all the way back to Reading. And we wondered why he got on so well with Albert!

Barry has sent us a report:

"OK - here are my races and race times - starting off with the Silchester 5. A tricky little race this one which was billed as a Fun Run over a distance of 5 miles and 130 yards - although many runners suspected it was much further. I recorded a time of 43.22 to finish 49th out of 108 runners.

Next up was Bognor on May 10th. A bit disappointed with my time on this one - went off far too fast and paid the price, down to a walk by the 5K stage. Recorded a gun time of 52.56 and a chip time of 52.28, finishing 533rd out of 1254. I believe that I was the only Wadhurst Runner there and even got interviewed by the race commentator as I was making my way back to rejoin Carole and Dad, who got very excited at the sight of a Wadhurst vest. It has to be said I didn't see too many Hastings or Wadhurst guys down there - what's up with you East Sussex guys, don't you like West Sussex? Surely we haven't got a Lanks/Yorks thing going on have we?

I wasn't holding out too much hope for my next event a week later, The Myra Garrett 10K at a rather rain sodden Danson Park in Bexleyheath. But I was heading in the right direction timewise with a respectable 51.35, finishing 122nd out of 192 and finishing 2nd in my age category but missing out by a little over 2 minutes (49.24), a time I've bettered twice this year.

24 hours later I was lining up in appalling conditions for the start of the Kintbury 5. I struggled a bit in this one and I finished in 41.20. I don't normally hang around for the prize giving as I'm usually in a hurry to get to the nearest hostelry - but I did for this one and it was nice to see Jenny Pitman handing out the prizes. Actually I was forced into waiting as a guy I sometimes bring along to races, who's aged 73, succeeded in taking a wrong turn and was eventually located some two hours and seven miles later - and not best pleased when he eventually did finish!

The final race I should tell you about is the Dorking 10, although frankly I prefer to draw a veil over this one. A very much below-par performance from yours truly, due entirely, without any shadow of a doubt, to the six or was it seven pints of Arkells Kingsdown Ale consumed the previous day. It was a new course this year and, under normal circumstances, I would have been delighted to take it all in but at 4 miles I'm afraid thoughts of "I wish I hadn't started this one" were beginning to fill my head. However, I'm happy to say that I persevered and, after a fashion, completed it in a time of 1.45.42.

Further races I'm intending to take in are:

Sunday June 24th Thame 10K
Sunday July 8th Prince's Risborough 10K
Friday July 13th Rye 10K
Sunday July 15th Crawley 10K
Friday July 27th The Wedding Day 7K
Sunday July 29th Marlow to Windsor Half Marathon"

Thanks for the report Barry.

No comments: