Tuesday 9 October 2007

The Firle Beacon 20k Trail Run

A report from Peter Burfoot on the Firle Beacon 20K Trail Run:

"The Firle Beacon 20k Trail Run was the most enjoyable race I have had for a long time. The race started at Firle Place and soon found a track, the old coach road, at the foot of the Downs towards Alfriston. We then turned right and wound our way up a very steep hill, where I was more concerned about being hit by debris from the neighbouring clay pigeon shoot than the hill which was getting progessively steeper. Although only just over 7km into the race at this point I passed one lady runner who was already walking. When we reached the top there was a right turn and we still had a way to climb, but at a more gentle gradient, following, in reverse direction, the route of the Seaford Half Marathon. On this stretch I was overtaken by two runners before we went over the top of Bostal Hill at around 180m, and reached the 1st drinks station at 10km.

There followed a further climb to Firle Beacon, the highest point at 217m, with views over Newhaven Harbour on one side and over towards the High Weald on the other. The undulating pattern continued along the top along with a stiff breeze, heading at an angle, which kept me cool.

After the 13k drinks station I sped up and took the first of the 2 overtakers with ease. The next was 100m or so ahead and I had him in my sights.

At Red Lion Pond we turned round a marshall and with the wind behind and starting to heat up, I slowed slightly on the uphill gradient as I met the runners heading towards the turn point, but I was on a roll.

I had noticed my next target stopping at the drinks stations when he had his water and was able to reduce his lead as I took my water on the run. By this time I was at the top of the very steep road which runs down from Firle Beacon to Firle.

I nailed the downhill section and closed on and overtook my last target, just over 1km from the end, and made it stick.

I was very pleased with the race and result."

Peter finished 9th in a time of 1.41.08.

No comments: