Saturday 28 July 2007

More news from the Wild West!

Barry Gilbert our wild western member from Reading continues ploughing his lonely furrow in representing Wadhurst in events to the west of Sussex and sends us another
report.

"On Sunday June 10th I travelled to take part in the Great Bedwyn 10K. For those of you unfamiliar with the whereabouts of Great Bedwyn - it's a smallish village nestling on the Berks/Wilts borders on the edge of the Savernake Forest. 172 competitors lined up for only the second running of this very undulating event in sweltering conditions - something we haven't experienced much this summer. Our Berkshire Waddy came home in 95th position in a time of 52.38.

Sunday June 24th on to the Thame 10K over a relatively flat course which was reflected in a time of 51.55 and a position of 425th out of 763.

Sunday July 8th and it is the Princes Risborough 10K. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with this one - not my performance but with the facilities and the organisation. It's a race I've always wanted to do, being reasonably local, but it usually clashes with another old favourite of mine, the Elmbridge Runners "Julie Button Memorial 10K" - a fast, flat, partly riverside towpath course in Walton-upon-Thames. I can thoroughly recommend this one.

So, I opted for the Princes Risborough race but the Community Centre that they were supposed to use was shut for no apparent reason; and the adjacent Leisure centre refused to allow runners to change before, or shower afterwards - I even offered to pay! As for the race, I'm still waiting for my time but it was around the 52 minute mark but needless to say I won't be running this one again!"

No comments: